Decluttering and home organising FAQs
Creating space and order in your home environment really can kick start all manner of changes for the better in life generally. If you’re feeling stuck, are hungry for change and would like to create a place to breathe, think, relax and recharge, enjoy food, sleep well and take pleasure in the company of family and friends, decluttering and organising services are the way forward.
Many clients come to me having tried unsuccessfully to declutter/organise with the help of family and friends. More often than not emotions run high and it all ends up in a big old fall out.
I believe professional help is best for the following reasons:
1. Working with a professional depersonalises the task; this creates emotional boundaries that help to keep the task on track.
2. An experienced professional understands how to break tasks down to suit each specific client. A lot of time and energy can be saved by using an efficient method.
3. Paying for a service brings focus and commitment to the task – which of course massively contributes to the success of the project.
For those who anticipate that physical help is needed to get the task done.
We will work together to separate your possessions into categories: for each the decision is made on what to bin, recycle or keep. I can work alone on some tasks if your time/energy is limited; however the decision to let go of items is always yours. There is never pressure for you to get rid of anything – my role is to help bring clarity to your decisions. I will do a basic clean up as we go along and I can take unwanted items to the tip or charity shop as required. The second phase is efficient storage of remaining items to fit with your lifestyle. We can use your existing furniture and storage items if you want to and I can help you source additional items too. You will be left with an organised home that will be easy to keep tidy ongoing.
STEP 1 – the hardest part – contact me (phone or e mail) to let me know what you’d like help with. It is completely normal to feel apprehensive but you will find yourself at ease in no time in this judgement free zone.
STEP 2 – We’ll have an informal chat/consultation phone call. It generally takes about 20/30 minutes. This is a chance for you to ask questions and for us to establish which type of session might suit your needs and circumstances best. There is no obligation to anything at this stage so nothing to lose by having a chat.
STEP 3 – If you’d like to go ahead, we get a date in the diary and we’re up and running.
Sessions can be booked on a one by one basis with no commitment beyond each session.
To see the sessions on offer (both ‘advice’ and ‘hands on’) please visit the SERVICES or PRICING page.
An open mind to the process and realistic expectations bring best success. In terms of your time and energy contribution, naturally the more you are willing and able to contribute the faster the task moves and the less you spend. If you’re willing I can also give achievable homework tasks in between sessions. Don’t worry if you have limited time and energy – we will discuss your schedule and circumstances during initial phone consultation and I will aim to work something out that fits for you.
It is unfortunately impossible to say for sure but here are the factors:
- Amount of ‘stuff’ to go through
- How mixed up ‘the categories’ are in your home. If categories are very mixed up- ‘unpickling’ them takes more time.
- How much you are willing and/or able to contribute to the process in terms of time, focus, energy.
- As a general rule, kitchens and wardrobes/clothes are the easiest and quickest fix, as they more often than not have fewer categories to work with.
As a ballpark ONLY, often either a smallish kitchen or bedroom with an average amount of kitchenware/clothes respectively can be organised in a full day session.
Sadly I no longer offer this specific help. For alternative help and information you might find Life-Pod Edinburgh a useful starting point.